Saturday, April 12, 2008

April 2008 Report to the Alumni Association Board

I just got back from the Stout Alumni Association meeting where I gave a report on behalf of the Senate of Academic Staff.

I spoke about being busy this year reacting to proposals from the campus and System with everything from the realignment models to the most recent being the Inclusive Excellence document. I mentioned we are exploring possibilities of how to provide more contract security particularly to instructional academic staff who have been on campus for a number of years. I also talked about continuing to work closely with Chancellor Sorensen and the Administration and with the leaders of the Faculty and Student Senates.

They wanted to know more about the Inclusive Excellence proposal and also asked for our help in connecting with distance ed students who may be interested in serving on or at least talking to the Alumni Board.

I concluded my remarks with a comment that we are still grieving over the loss of the 3 victims of the fire a week ago and that our senate is feeling it deeply as is the entire campus.

We have a good Alumni Board and it is clear they are deeply committed to Stout. I enjoyed spending the morning with them and also some time yesterday when my bride Lisa and I participated in their tour of the local Legacy Chocolates production facility (as you could guess something we really enjoyed!).

Dennis Shaw, Chair
Senate of Academic Staff